Monday, December 19, 2022

Fancasting Stray Kids: Behind the Music

 If you've travelled here from TikTok, yes, this is the droid you're looking for. If you're one of my readers or you've wandered here from the Google and have no idea what's going on, I've been fancasting the members of Stray Kids in musicals for kicks and giggles. You can find the posts on my cosplay/fan account: @kimiko971. They're all labeled so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. I've referenced a lot of obscure musicals and specific performances/performers so here's YouTube links so you can hear what I'm talking about.


Elizabeth: The Musical:

This one comes up a lot in my fancasting because I love this show so much. There is a Korean version of this show but I'm most familiar (and in love with) the 2004 Vienna revival production; which is in German. This cast features Mate Kamaras as Der Tod (Death/Grim Reaper) and Serkan Kaya as Luchini (The Italian assassin/anarchist that murdered Elizabeth) who I feel are the best actors to ever be in these roles (and I've watched a fair number of them). 

Act 1 (with English subtitles)

Act 2 (with English subtitles)

If two hours is more time than you're willing to commit to reading subtitles (which is fair) here's the main songs that you should be acquainted with to understand why I cast the guys the way I did.

For the roles of Der Tod and Rudolph:

Die Schatten Werden Langer (The Shadows Grow Longer)

Der Tod:

Der Letzte Tanz (The Last Dance)

For the role of Luchini:

Act 1 prologue

Kitsch

I briefly mention that there's a Korean version, and if my manifesting works and the guys do get cast someday, this is the version they'd be doing. Here's a brief taste of that production. I actually like the lyrics for the Korean version of The Shadows Grow Longer. They're more poetic than in the German version. I just haven't seen an actor or idol cast in the roles in question that could compare to the 2004 Vienna cast. However, I do have to give the Korean productions a lot of credit for having better minions for Tod. In the German productions the single wing on the costumes are only present for maybe two numbers. In the Korean production they're used more and they're part of the choreography. It's really cool visually.

In the clip below, Kim Junsu is playing Tod and while he's a fantastic performer and a great actor his voice doesn't have the darker tones that Mate's does. He's definitely the best Tod I've seen in a Korean production.

The Last Dance

The Shadows Grow Longer


Chess:

This isn't so much obscure as it is passed over. It is a bit dated because it was written in and is set during the Cold War. However, I feel that it's still relevant and overall a beautiful musical. It's operatic at times, very pop in others, and yet it never feels like a variety show. Each song is perfect for that moment. The most surprising thing is that the entire show was composed by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, A.K.A. the guys from ABBA.

As I mentioned in the Lee Know episode the British version of the show, in my opinion, is superior to the American version of the show. In particular the original London cast is my favorite. Elaine Paige played Florence, one of my bucket list roles, Murry Head as the American, and Tommy Korberg as the Russian.

The Russian:

Anthem

The American:

one Night in Bankok

Pity the Child


Tanz der Vampire:

This musical is based on one of the cheesiest B vampire movies of all time: Roman Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers. The musical doesn't spare the cheese. There's an entire song where scared villagers sing about garlic. I'm not kidding. They're just sitting in a pub, singing about how much they love garlic. Despite the overabundance of cheese, I love this show. The score was written by Jim Steinman--the genius behind most of Meatloaf's hits, the man who satisfied emo cravings for sad romantic angst before the word emo existed. Believe it or not, Total Eclipse of the Heart sounds better in German. The role that I talked about in my TikTok was Herbert Von Krolock, who only gets one song. I wish he got more solos but this one is very memorable. Also, the actor portraying Herbert in this clip presents the character the way that I believe Hyunjin could.

Wenn Liebe in Dir Ist


Scarlet Pimpernell:

I've adored this show since I first heard the soundtrack. It's funny, it's moving, it's sassy...it has a bit of everything while still being true to the source material. This is one of my bucket list shows (that I will probably never get to be in because most companies aren't interested in doing a revival.) The role of Chauvelin was originated by Terrence Mann (Broadway royalty and one of my favorite actors) and Percy was originated by Douglas Sills. Fun fact, rumor is that Douglas come out during intermission and, in character, read the audience for filth.

Percy:

Prayer

When I Look at You (Reprise)

She Was There

Chauvelin:

Where's the Girl

Both:

The Riddle


We Will Rock You:

As the title suggests, this musical is a post-apocalyptic tour de force featuring the best of Queen's hits. The plot is fun and the original London cast is amazing. If you're a fan of The Voice you might remember Tony Vincent. Before he auditioned for the The Voice he was on the West End, originating the lead role of this show and he was fantastic! Even if you think the plot is a cheesy vehicle for Queen's discography you can't deny that hearing these songs with these harmonies and the theatrical stylings that only musical theater can deliver, is incredibly satisfying.

Under Pressure

Who Wants to Live Forever

Bohemian Rhapsody


Mozart: L'Opera Rock:

I think it's safe to say that this is the most obscure musical in this series (and in my collection.) Imagine if the life of Mozart was given the Bridgerton treatment but with an Ateez flavored soundtrack. Clearly it was ahead of its time. The show opened in 2009 and only ran for two years. Sadly, it never left Western Europe but I feel that if it got a revival with the right cast (hint hint) it would be a global sensation.

Full show (with English subtitles)

Amadeus and Salieri:

Vivre a en crever

Amadeus:

Tatoue-moi

Salieri:

(WARNING: THIS IS THE RED LIGHTS OF THE MUSICAL. 18+!!!)

Le bien qui fait mal (The Good Thing That Hurts)


Those are my obscure pics. Hopefully that made it a lot easier to hear what I've got in my head and what influenced my casting. If nothing else at least I got you to watch some of the best of global musical theater. *grin* I love sharing my obsessions.


No comments:

Post a Comment